2012-03-28 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] anonymous statistics (was: Are there any Greek users?)

Header Data

From: Johnny Solbu <so***u@solbu.net>
Message Hash: 09ee4d43db7138b45cf0108cd34ae81c94b101fdf0a4adc4018c4a17212450d4
Message ID: <201203290623.52622.solbu@solbu.net>
Reply To: <CAESLx0KxNkqQzXg9G9kqDSAbnLDBYgdh5UV7BOz9Odweyoa85g@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2012-03-28 21:23:49 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 05:23:49 +0100

Raw message

On Thursday 29 March 2012 05:48, Timothy White wrote:
> I was planning to have it as a separate package
> and put in the install instructions to install it unless you don't
> want to participate in that stats.

That would also work. I would however not put it among the general install instructions, as some users might think that it is essential for the hotspot to work. I do think it belongs in the install instructions page, but under it's own section, perhaps at the bottom of the page, to emphasize that it's optional.

May I also suggest a further idea, that might simplify the install instructions.
You could create a dummy/meta package that will install the other needed packages. In this package, there is not a single file to be installed. The package will simply have the other grase packages as dependencies. This will have the effect that installing this One package will result in the other grase packages and their dependencies beeing installed.
Let's say the package is called "grase-install". Then the user only have to run "apt-get install grase-install" (after installing grase-repo and updating the package list), and all grase packages will be installed. (The stats package should not be a dependency in this meta package.)

Debian does this. The "build-essentials" package (among others) is such a meta package, which have development packages and tools as dependencies.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
web site, http://www.solbu.net

Thread