2012-09-06 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] squid inquiry

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: dc790072420f993f4c19a7ed678d980857706219ad8b9f232dcee82f4797cbd8
Message ID: <50494E85.2000307@gmail.com>
Reply To: <201209070313.52769.solbu@solbu.net>
UTC Datetime: 2012-09-06 18:31:49 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:31:49 +1000

Raw message

On 07/09/12 11:13, Johnny Solbu wrote:
> On Thursday 06 September 2012 23:41, Tim White wrote:
>> you can create files in
>> /etc/squid3/grase.d/ with the file extension .conf and it'll be read by
>> squid at startup (and not overwritten by updates).
> Let's say that I want to change a setting that you have explicitly defined in the default config file. Will those changes override the default configuration?
>
> Some of us like to have the squid cache tree on a separate large dedicated partition. Personally I prefer to have somewhere between 10G - 20G for an squid cache. Then it'll take into account large OS update, such as Windows update and various GNu/Linux updates. It's not uncommon to have a Service Pack of 100 MB, and if I'm not mistaken, the default squid cache doesn't cache files that large. It didn't used to the last time I configured squid from scratch. :-)=
As far as I know, any later values will override any earlier values.
(Unless it's something like an ACL which isn't overriden as it adds to
the ACL).
The default squid config I ship is basically the default one with
Debian, it really does need tuning for each situation, as small embedded
systems can crash from too much being cached!