2013-03-31 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Setting up Grase with wired ethernet connection over pppoe

Header Data

From: vicki kumar <om***a@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 8c23dcf8e2a78b3f4723e6c1286a0cdda85d6c37467a6db65b39b648e8c2edde
Message ID: <CAA1C2kw6wJKGrjDNnGLaiQiWMUU3F0sTSVJ-vMbmXmgaY=7ujw@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAA1C2kyeYbAN8C1P1wRLN__LnvnWcJRK-iTu02wOGu-ZiMRshg@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-03-31 23:04:57 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:34:57 +0530

Raw message

> Assuming this is for your internet connection, you setup it up as per
> normal, then select the ppp0 interface as your WAN connection in the
> grase interface. Setting up pppoe is up to you, plenty of good tutorials
> on the net.

Thanks Tim. This pppoe connection is without using any modem. I have looked
at some of the tutorials available on the net. They all seem to be related
to adsl type pppoe connection. I don't know whether both of them are
similar in configuration. Can you please help me point to correct tutorial,
if at all possible for you?

The clients point to the Grase server, which points to a local DNS
server which points to the upstream servers you define in the Grase
Admin section. It's there you should set your WAN DNS servers. It's not
recommended trying to have your clients communicate directly with the
upstream servers as that offers a way to let people bypass the portal if
they really want to (look up DNS proxy stuff). It's also faster having a
local caching proxy. If things arent' working through grase, check that
you can resolve names to ip addresses, if so, it's not the DNS that's an

issue.

I am able to ping almost every website I wish to open through Grase however
not all websites are loading. They just seem to get stuck. Also, there is a
noticeable time difference in load time when I am using Grase and when I am
not using it. Are these the local DNS servers: 208.67.222.123
 208.67.220.123? I have put in details of the DNS servers provided to me by
my ISP in /etc/network/interfaces. Am I wrong in putting the details there?

Thanks.

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 1:33 PM, vicki kumar <om***a@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>      Is it possible to configure Grase with wired ethernet internet
> connection over pppoe (username and password based authentication)? Do I
> need to have pppoeconf package installed in Ubuntu? How do I configure it
> so that whenever connection drops it redials the connection?
>
> Also, in case of always-on static ip type internet connection, how do I
> change WAN DNS servers from default 127.0.0.1 to something my ISP has
> provided to me? Why I am asking this because I am not being able to access
> many websites like yahoo, facebook, not even grasehotspot. Sometimes even
> google loads very slowly - that's when I am using Grase. If I connect to
> the internet directly without Grase routing it is running very fast. I
> think it has something to do with DNS. Hope someone can help me resolve
> this.
>
> Thanks.

Thread