2014-09-24 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Ubuntu 14.04 LTS + grase installation - (second network card problem - card is visible with ifconfig -a)

Header Data

From: Thomas Heil <he***l@terminal-consulting.de>
Message Hash: 8ab33fd0769c39ca2893d01c3b055ff0170d50c15281f7dc16ceda30accc4e0e
Message ID: <54233048.6000908@terminal-consulting.de>
Reply To: <1399fe0a-8e8f-4b2b-b01b-5565809c5c35@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2014-09-24 13:57:44 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 22:57:44 +0200

Raw message

Hi,

On 24.09.2014 22:42, bartosz wrote:
> Hi, on the begging many thx for great hotspot system, I use with 4
> different places and never had problems until today
>

> # hardware used
> Intel Next Unit Of Computing (mini pc) with usb network card

I would prefer boxes with at least two nics.

> # Ubuntu installation process
> went as usual, with small difference, it didn't show the screen where
> you choice network card.
>
> # after installation
>
> "ifconfig" command shows em1 and lo but no usb lan card interface,
> where em1 is connected to outside world and getting ip over dhcp.
>
> "ifconfig -a" shows usb card as eth0 (so card is visible and if i set
> it up manually it works when connected to internet)
>
> as i need manual ip ive changed it to:
>
> "cat /etc/networks/interfaces"
> --------------------------------
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto em1
> iface em1 inet static
> address 192.168.7.100
> network 192.168.7.0
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> broadcast 192.168.7.255
> gateway 192.168.7.1
> dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 4.2.2.2
> --------------------------------
>
> #grase installation - no problems !!
>
> wget
> http://packages.grasehotspot.org/pool/main/g/grase-repo/grase-repo_1.5_all.deb
>
> sudo dpkg -i grase-repo_1.4_all.deb

if you download grase-repo_1.5_all.deb why do you install
grase-repo_1.4_all.deb?

> sudo apt-get update
>
> sudo apt-get install grase-www-portal grase-conf-freeradius
> grase-conf-squid3 grase-conf-openvpn
>
> # after grase installation
>
> ifconfig shows now: em1 lo and tun0 (10.64.63.48) but no eth0

I guess that your ubuntu did not recognice the usb nic?

> i know its something stiupid with configuration, but i missing it, and
> this is 3rd day i am working on it an still no changes :| so i hope
> someone knows what i am missing, if you need some other setting please
> let me know

Could you paste you complete steps and "ip a s" and or "ifconfig -a" ?

> many thanks
>
> Bartosz

> https://groups.google.com/a/grasehotspot.org/d/msgid/grase-hotspot/1399fe0a-8e8f-4b2b-b01b-5565809c5c35%40grasehotspot.org
> <https://groups.google.com/a/grasehotspot.org/d/msgid/grase-hotspot/1399fe0a-8e8f-4b2b-b01b-5565809c5c35%40grasehotspot.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.