2014-09-24 - Re: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS + grase installation - (second network card problem - card is visible with ifconfig -a)

Header Data

From: bartosz <ba***z@miklaszewski.com>
Message Hash: d30763fbb5c65dea014cca185a5cd61b6f25a3ba2eaa1f5ac4fbe86bcc406fee
Message ID: <c9e7805c-26f0-474b-afa4-65fb80c98040@grasehotspot.org>
Reply To: <1399fe0a-8e8f-4b2b-b01b-5565809c5c35@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2014-09-24 14:36:36 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 14:36:36 -0700

Raw message

my steps are:

1. Install ubuntu 14.04 lts

2. setup manual ip address for em1 and iface eth0 inet manual (usb)

3. install grase

   - wget
http://packages.grasehotspot.org/pool/main/g/grase-repo/grase-repo_1.5_all.deb
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fpackages.grasehotspot.org%2Fpool%2Fmain%2Fg%2Fgrase-repo%2Fgrase-repo_1.5_all.deb&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFQgJZIHF68Fdy-qXcXc2eJ94mC8Q>
   - sudo dpkg -i grase-repo_1.5_all.deb
   - sudo apt-get update
   - sudo apt-get install grase-www-portal grase-conf-freeradius
grase-conf-squid3 grase-conf-openvpn
     (didnt noticed any error msg)

4. when finish
   - http://192.168.7.100/ - apache works fine
   - http://192.168.7.100/grase/radmin/ - error msg: (Not Found, The
requested URL /grase/radmin/ was not found on this    server. Apache/2.4.7
(Ubuntu) Server at 192.168.7.100 Port 80)

on my old servers internal lan card is shown in ifconfig (no ip configured
but its visible), in this new installation if i do ifconfig i cant see my
card, only if i do ifconfig -a

also i did test usb network card by setting ip manually and connected to
internet and it works fine, so i know its not the usb card problem, it must
be problem with configuration ubuntu or grase, i dont have any more ideas :(

i think grase cant see eth0 somehow and when setting up something goes
wrong :|

(btw) if i add "auto eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces when i do ifconfig i
can see both em1 and eth0 but this does not make any difference

On Wednesday, 24 September 2014 21:42:02 UTC+1, bartosz wrote:

> Hi, on the begging many thx for great hotspot system, I use with 4
> different places and never had problems until today
>

> # hardware used
> Intel Next Unit Of Computing (mini pc) with usb network card
>
> # Ubuntu installation process
> went as usual, with small difference, it didn't show the screen where you
> choice network card.
>
> # after installation
>
> "ifconfig" command shows em1 and lo but no usb lan card interface, where
> em1 is connected to outside world and getting ip over dhcp.
>
> "ifconfig -a" shows usb card as eth0 (so card is visible and if i set it
> up manually it works when connected to internet)
>
> as i need manual ip ive changed it to:
>
> "cat /etc/networks/interfaces"
> --------------------------------
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto em1
> iface em1 inet static
> address 192.168.7.100
> network 192.168.7.0
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> broadcast 192.168.7.255
> gateway 192.168.7.1
> dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 4.2.2.2
> --------------------------------
>
> #grase installation - no problems !!
>
> wget
> http://packages.grasehotspot.org/pool/main/g/grase-repo/grase-repo_1.5_all.deb
> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fpackages.grasehotspot.org%2Fpool%2Fmain%2Fg%2Fgrase-repo%2Fgrase-repo_1.5_all.deb&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFQgJZIHF68Fdy-qXcXc2eJ94mC8Q>
>
> sudo dpkg -i grase-repo_1.4_all.deb
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> sudo apt-get install grase-www-portal grase-conf-freeradius
> grase-conf-squid3 grase-conf-openvpn
>
> # after grase installation
>
> ifconfig shows now: em1 lo and tun0 (10.64.63.48) but no eth0
>

> i know its something stiupid with configuration, but i missing it, and
> this is 3rd day i am working on it an still no changes :| so i hope someone
> knows what i am missing, if you need some other setting please let me know
>
> many thanks
>
> Bartosz

Thread