2015-01-22 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Reboot Grase server from Web Management Interface

Header Data

From: Louis <lo***3@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 1e382c4b5e49229c56f9d826a470e4b9a36c01ced82694e788b11dfa16aa35e0
Message ID: <bba4ec53-bc00-4470-98da-de60fba6204c@grasehotspot.org>
Reply To: <54BD9885.7060202@neon-john.com>
UTC Datetime: 2015-01-22 11:20:43 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 10:20:43 -0800

Raw message

Thanks John, Cheers

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 1:51:47 AM UTC+2, John DeArmond wrote:

> On 01/19/2015 02:57 PM, Louis wrote:
> > Thank you all for your responses. I can and do access Grase via SSH with
> no
> > problems. If a reboot on the web management interface poses some measure
> of
> > security risk then it may not be worth our while.
>
> You may already know this but I thought I'd mention it anyway.  Ubuntu
> has /sbin/reboot.  There is a man page that documents the options to
> halt or turn off the machine instead of rebooting.  It's in the default
> path.
>
> Reboot is what Gnome uses to execute a shutdown/reboot when requested.
> It works perfectly with SSH.
>
> One other thing you might want to do.  For instances where the machine
> gets so unresponsive that even the command line won't work, I've
> configured a separate "reboot" login.  Instead of executing /bin/sh, it
> directly executes /sbin/reboot.
>
> To do this, simply create a new account named, say, shutdown.  Then edit
> /etc/passwd, find the new entry for the shutdown account and replace
> "/bin/sh" or "/bin/bash" with "/sbin/reboot -f".
>
> I use the "force" option because I've had machines get so wonky that
> shutdown(8) would not run or at least would not run in a reasonable
> length of time.  With -f, the machine simply flushes the disk caches and
> goes down.  Never had it fail.
>
> John
>
> --
> John DeArmond