2015-01-19 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Reboot Grase server from Web Management Interface

Header Data

From: NeonJohn <jg***d@neon-john.com>
Message Hash: 256025b2513973ba71f29ad7b59e477114916156a6349d35ff73442fc631b9fa
Message ID: <54BD9885.7060202@neon-john.com>
Reply To: <22e5e8dd-3693-4d7a-9614-772c90c6627c@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2015-01-19 16:51:33 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 18:51:33 -0500

Raw message

On 01/19/2015 02:57 PM, Louis wrote:
> Thank you all for your responses. I can and do access Grase via SSH with no
> problems. If a reboot on the web management interface poses some measure of
> security risk then it may not be worth our while.

You may already know this but I thought I'd mention it anyway.  Ubuntu
has /sbin/reboot.  There is a man page that documents the options to
halt or turn off the machine instead of rebooting.  It's in the default
path.

Reboot is what Gnome uses to execute a shutdown/reboot when requested.
It works perfectly with SSH.

One other thing you might want to do.  For instances where the machine
gets so unresponsive that even the command line won't work, I've
configured a separate "reboot" login.  Instead of executing /bin/sh, it
directly executes /sbin/reboot.

To do this, simply create a new account named, say, shutdown.  Then edit
/etc/passwd, find the new entry for the shutdown account and replace
"/bin/sh" or "/bin/bash" with "/sbin/reboot -f".

I use the "force" option because I've had machines get so wonky that
shutdown(8) would not run or at least would not run in a reasonable
length of time.  With -f, the machine simply flushes the disk caches and
goes down.  Never had it fail.

John

--
John DeArmond