2015-09-11 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Need help please!!!

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: b1388dad48bb0a298b78bf3effe0614b5941e6626205bfde6e805997593b0557
Message ID: <CAESLx0K109BO+EoLy3ak9XSYWJfRx9YmKV4hmgbh=U3+k6+WdQ@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <3AED6B06-22B9-45A9-8319-325D36E185DA@gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2015-09-11 22:51:28 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 15:51:28 +1000

Raw message

Hi James

An architecture map probably would help. I don't have one at this
stage (maybe open a bug for it?)

dnsmasq is used for DNS for a few reasons. One is that it caches from
upstream (and we can easily set upstream regardless of the system
/etc/resolv.conf file). The other is that we can override the results
from upstream. We use the bogus-nxdomain feature to allow people to
use OpenDNS but without the redirect to OpenDNS for what should be an
NX result. We can also inject our own hosts, like "logout" and
"logoff". The file /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-grasehotspot is generated by
Grase Hotspot, and dnsmasq reads config from it.
DHCP comes directly from Coova Chilli, and should ideally stay that
way. This way, machine accounts are authenticated at DHCP time.

Bind9 is much heavier than Dnsmasq, and doesn't offer all the features
we are using from dnsmasq. Both do caching from upstream, but dnsmasq
is more suited for what we are doing.