2016-02-15 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] broadcast message

Header Data

From: drazen <dr***a@radez.hr>
Message Hash: 312d2a6a099b043c1976a1bf817a504ecd8922c076cc5a4d47bc6501605aeefc
Message ID: <56C21122.7050308@radez.hr>
Reply To: <56C1E8AC.50602@neon-john.com>
UTC Datetime: 2016-02-15 10:55:46 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 18:55:46 +0100

Raw message

On 02/15/2016 04:03 PM, NeonJohn wrote:

> On 02/15/2016 06:23 AM, Timothy White wrote:
>> Hi John
>>
>> There isn't any way I can think of for doing a broadcast message. Assuming
>> everyone keeps the status window open, we could probably implement
>> something there. Alternatively, we could put an alerts message on the login
>> page, but that wouldn't be seen unless they were trying to login.
>>
>> In the future, we might collect email address, in which case an email to
>> everyone would also work.
> That would probably be the best solution.  I'd like to be able to
> announce when the machine is going to go down for maintenance.  Also
> alert everyone when bandwidth is short (I resell HughsNet that is capped
> at 15Gb/month).  Capturing emails of everyone except free users and
> having a "broadcast" button to mail to them all would be wonderful.
Hmmm. email is not instant messaging service. I don't see it as useful
as you mentioned.
If mail client is not up and running and has ability to pop up new
message arriving, result is zero.
Status window would be best option because it is directly related to the
service (grase in this case)

I other hand, internet services today are not supposed to be down ever.
This is more exception then rule. So, no need to advertise any message.
With my experience with Grase, I used to restart Grase from time to
time. This is quite quick operation that users can hardly realize what
is going on.

If you have planned maintenance, you can advertise that over login
screen with big red fonts, couple of days before your scheduled event.

And finally your data limit is not very attractive feature for your
business.

improve your site features.

Just my 2cents
Rgds.
Drazen

>> Regarding Desktop vs Server edition. The main issue with Desktop is Network
>> Manager can sometimes screw with the network settings. As long as you get
>> the network config right in /etc/network/interfaces, you should be fine.
> I can handle that.  I think :-)  I need the GUI for all the other admin
> stuff plus the occasional actual work that gets done on that machine.
>
> Thanks again for all your hard work.  We really appreciate it.
> John

Thread