2016-02-19 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Access the AP’s from the management (wan) side of the hotspot

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 88c20a3c6b3502a27ee51bfdd430813111f4991e3cc9e762edee2055e2129ae3
Message ID: <CAESLx0LF40R+RkKnCAdOHxjTKXp17XBXUzdwT5neHkXOtimmEw@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <b4327d08-45b4-4325-bc13-8eeef979753d@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2016-02-19 12:51:05 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 05:51:05 +1000

Raw message

Hi Derek

This isn't really an easy thing to do. The WAN side can't access the LAN
side due to firewalls and NAT. The recommended way to manage AP's in a
large environment is to use VLAN's, and have a different VLAN for your
management network to your clients. This way, anyone on your management
network has direct access to the AP's, while your clients only have access
to the Grase Hotspot.

In smaller environments, this isn't practical especially if you don't have
VLAN capable switches.

If you are comfortable with iptables, you can add firewall rules to port
forward from the Grase Hotspot server to a WAP so you can access it from
the WAN side. However, as this can easily open up security holes if done
right, I'm not going to try and post any iptables rules here.