2016-05-30 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Re: Grase Hotspot working with DD-WRT routers in remote locations.

Header Data

From: Dražen Žuvela <dr***a@radez.hr>
Message Hash: 301ca0c007deb0adc1f40e7e2c43f23b08007ae61d6b08413eb7152579e12161
Message ID: <205375b6-59af-1674-6bbc-dbd11bb71374@radez.hr>
Reply To: <094df1a0-59ce-463c-bcc8-0af29812afea@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2016-05-30 05:33:03 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 14:33:03 +0200

Raw message

Hi Norberto,

I just expanding local WiFi network based on your receipt for remote
Grase access. Finally I got MACAUTH working over remote routers. Target
clients are smartphones/tablets of employers/students, and guests. Most
are MAC based authentication while guests and students will get limited
vouchers.

I did segmentation in Grase/Chili IP range as per your advice, so every
DD-WRT router supply clients in different range: 10.1.1.0/24;
10.1.2.0/24, 10.1.3.0/24 ...and so on.

Whole idea is to cover wider area  inside same site (Eg. school, single
site factory/company) using existing LAN infrastructure. So all APs are
set to the same SSID. Some of WiFi signals are overlapping each other
(different channels are applied. I mean on pure radio signal intensity
overlap). I assume that roaming will happen automatically.

Well, seems that roaming does not happen smoothly because when changing
AP connection client will not get new IP so it will not connect to
closer AP, while previous got IP remains.  If fully radio disconnection
occur, next connection attempt will succeed (client will get new IP )

When more APs connected to same Chilly (as originally is to grase LAN
side) roaming goes smoothly because no IP changes needed.

Do you have any experience with this, or advice how to solve this?

My set up is based on TP link WR 842ND ver.2 and firmware: DD-WRT
v24-sp2 (04/09/15) for this router.

Rgds.

*Drazen

*