2017-03-14 - Re: Free access only captive portal performance

Header Data

From: José Borges <jo***s@algardata.pt>
Message Hash: 147c8bb283e3a123e32e1e75571ebfda5f84f569cf9862e31d1551fe477f9c89
Message ID: <ccbcdff9-0ad4-4d03-a25c-be9c71b7aa99@grasehotspot.org>
Reply To: <678f24f0-5918-43b3-b870-f88e7ba7688e@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2017-03-14 02:14:05 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 02:14:05 -0700

Raw message

You better use css, like: style="display:none;" on the <div> to hide it :D
its that easy.

TOS captive with button to signup for free wifi (actual connect button is
hidden below a huge blank <div> space.. betting they wont scroll down)

segunda-feira, 13 de Março de 2017 às 22:25:56 UTC, Michael escreveu:

> First off, big thanks to Tim and the developers behind Grase hotspot as
> well as the community here! This is my first time posting but I have been
> scouring the group for a while and it's been a huge help getting through
> roadblocks.
>
> I have successfully built a working Grase setup with an old PC with Ubuntu
> desktop 14 and a basic DD-WRT flashed router setup in AP mode which follows
> the following process for users:
>

>    1. WIFI connect
>    2. TOS captive with button to signup for free wifi (actual connect
>    button is hidden below a huge blank <div> space.. betting they wont scroll
>    down)
>    3. Button re-directs to allowed domain for a external Mailchimp
>    newsletter form signup
>    4. Back to captive page with anchor link to connect button after
>    successful single opt-in.
>    5. Connect to internet
>

> My question is concerning what may be the bare minimum performance to run
> the above steps and no any additional authentication? Would using a Pi3 be
> acceptable for 50-100 simultaneous users?  I attempted to use a simple
> NoDogSplash setup on a router but was unsuccessful in getting the above
> process to work, so using a separate PC for just a free wifi portal was my
> only avenue but I would like to stay dirt cheap on the PC if possible.  I'm
> not very versed in networking lore so it may be the case where the router
> is what generally needs to "handle" the user load, and not the Grase
> server, but I thought I would ask.
>
> Thank you!!

Thread