2017-05-28 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] how to setup grase as a router - NAT enabled

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: f691f95cd848c647d03a732ace9d9f2294e4aa73fdcd59d675e4116d1267d625
Message ID: <CAESLx0L9E+vT1VnY4EDARdXZRsCqomLFWAecB0O69K_zCj+zQQ@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAPYsbFapjGd+VkcwO4XRq_ST4qnOkdmz4vbnK2MP9S-Jro1REA@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2017-05-28 14:29:37 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 07:29:37 +1000

Raw message

Hi Tubeta

Basically, Grase already does all of this. By default, it NAT's, and due to
the NATing you end up with a firewall from the internet to the clients. It
also already routes, and being a Linux computer, can do much more advanced
routing if required. I wouldn't recommend trying any of that unless you are
familiar with Networking though.

As for preventing malware from internal computers, this is pretty hard for
any system to do. You can block what outgoing ports are allowed (using
Grase), but you'll quickly find it's either wack a mole trying to block
ports, or it's unusable because you've blocked so much, that many services
fail to work.

Lastly, if you can browse the internet, chances are malware can get in and
out. Malware is written to take advantage of anything you do on the
internet, and other than a few 0-day vulnerabilities, you are more likely
to be hit with malware that a user has accidentally clicked on.