2011-10-09 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] inquiry

Header Data

From: jb <be***s@yahoo.com>
Message Hash: 88b79dd25bbf36ad7923c525e225cbb29ca10293546264c7d86edd354b0a1791
Message ID: <1318216664.3473.YahooMailClassic@web110201.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
Reply To: <1318215828.95476.YahooMailClassic@web110214.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
UTC Datetime: 2011-10-09 20:17:44 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 20:17:44 -0700

Raw message

win7 clients can get the openDNS 208.67.220.220 ip but after a few seconds it will change
to ip 192.168.254.254...so win7 client cant proceed to login page...

thank you

jb

From: tim storey <ts***s@yahoo.com>
To: "GRASE Hotspot General Discussions" <gr***t@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Friday, October 7, 2011, 5:05 PM

Hi JB
I had a similar problem with a previous hotspot ATM and Windows Vista clients. The issue was actually a known Vista bug, to do with the
 "DHCP Broadcast flag" in the registry. This is resolved by applying a patch from MS, or manually tweaking the registry.A quick google search on the same issue for win 7 indicates that it is still a fairly widespread issue with win 7 clients.
Check out the following link for more info:http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2009/02/12/dhcp-broadcast-flag-handling-in-windows-7.aspx
The next
 link makes reference to a cisco-related issue with a possible solution:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/b50d628f-43c1-420f-884f-a09594517d30/

I hope this helps.
Tim S.
From: Timothy White
 <ti***8@gmail.com>
Subject: Re:
 [GRASE-Hotspot] inquiry
To: "GRASE Hotspot General Discussions" <gr***t@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Friday, October 7, 2011, 10:16 AM

This sounds odd.If it's only happening to win7 clients that's even stranger.
You don't have any dhcp-relay style devices do you? (Routers that relay the dhcp to the hotspot).
It should be getting 10.1.0.1 for dns, plus a opendns server. I'll be releasing some changes shortly that force the clients to all use 10.1.0.1 which will be the hotspot, which will have dnsmasq on it and they you can configure dnsmasq to point to the right name servers. When you say you have set primary dns to opendns, where have you set that? If you change it in /etc/chilli/config it should hand them out via dhcp correctly.

Tim
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM, jb <be***s@yahoo.com> wrote:

hi tim,

i just would like to inquire from you. every time a client connects to wireless or wired connection to the grase server, the assigned DNS to the client would be 192.168.254.254.

my primary DNS set up in the server is from OpenDNS which is 208.67.222.222..

what could be the problem?
thanks

jb

http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1