2014-10-27 - Re: 12.04 LTS and 14.04 LTS (nightly) DHCP doesn’t work

Header Data

From: Sinnvoll L <si***l@gmail.com>
Message Hash: e04b48ca985056e1e48b8e44604577187744583710d5b0877af8d02cc19ea479
Message ID: <7264d26b-49b2-4149-80e2-7e7ec75a70f3@grasehotspot.org>
Reply To: <b4a89e4b-44d3-461c-8e5c-d205e4e99af6@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2014-10-27 08:59:07 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 08:59:07 -0700

Raw message

Hi, I'm experiencing the same issues!

I'm all new to GRASE and it's my first try with captive portal, aaa and so
on!
First I Installed ubuntu server 12.04.1 with grase stable build and
everything works fine with dhcp captive portal etc. but after a restart, I
can't get any ip address from dnsmasq dhcp server..

Installed 14.04.1 with grase nightly builds (love the new captive portal
layout, especially on mobile) everything went fine, got ip adress, captive
portal login everything working great..
doing a reboot, no more dhcp :(

looked into .conf files, everything seems OK, my interfaces are even
default with eth0 as WAN and eth1 as LAN side, but something breaks on
first reboot, can't get a hold of it :(
tried everything with a dd-wrt router (everything configures to act only as
a switch) on LAN side, serving a Wifi network but also with laptop attached
directly to eth1 (both ways worked perfect right after install, but after
reboot it doesn't)

Network cards are old ones I found, Realtek 100mbps RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI
Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev 10)
could these be an issue?
are there alternate drivers than the one ubuntu installed automatically!?

Would be great if anyone had any idea what could be causing this!

On a side note:
Thanks Tim for all your hard work! GRASE seems to be THE hotspot solution
in the future!
I will definitely do a donation once I got everything working :)

thanks & best regards,
Laurenz

Am Freitag, 26. September 2014 22:14:33 UTC+2 schrieb bartosz:

> Hi, I am having this problem with DHCP, basically, when installed grase,
> for some reason chilli couldn't find my LAN card, so i had to change
> settings manually in /etc/chilli/config, and then it worked, i could login
> to localhost/grase/radmin
>
> problem i have now, (both 12.04 LTS and 14.04 LTS nightly - sounds that
> its related to hardware) that DHCP is not assigning ips's from LAN side,
> can someone help me with settings?, where can i find settings for grase
> DHCP? i believe grase, choose wrong interface (like with chilli), so I hope
> if I set it up manually it will work.
>
> many thanks
>
> Bartosz

Thread