2015-09-25 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Turn off DHCP for coova chilli

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 0690300de72d610f4047c701d4ccb20b4a982a30755e3820ba2259ca446a2eee
Message ID: <CAESLx0L=KPyaJg7QDXmg5WBUaC122OpoBa9pvGqNQMKe_8CcBw@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <51177490-7EB1-4399-8DC5-CC093B53964C@argyle.com.au>
UTC Datetime: 2015-09-25 13:20:13 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 06:20:13 +1000

Raw message

Hi Joseph

You should be able to just set the DNS servers in the Grase Hotspot Admin
interface, and the Hotspot server should forward all requests to the
upstream DNS server, which would be the AD server. They should then be able
to login. As Dave already said, you need to ensure the DHCP is passing out
the correct addresses for the AD network.

You can see from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/247811 that
DNS is key to finding a domain controller. So we just need to forward
requests to the AD server. I don't have a test environment for this, but it
should work as I work in an AD environment regularly with a DNS forwarder.
The only downside to this setup is that you can't look at the AD servers
DHCP leases to find a client, and clients often can't register in the AD
servers DNS. These shouldn't affect clients. However, for a windows server,
it may cause issues, so you should set them up statically pointing to the
windows AD DNS server.