2017-01-19 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Re: unable to access internet via grase hotspot after 24 hours

Header Data

From: emre erdoğan <po***e@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 3dc6fca5fd1ef40df99f6232c6343704801991e5b08a3d45a8281224fe9c0851
Message ID: <CADDedMFGjc7MApURM5XPPEe+LBxtqxPpXVo1-QhL0RPY9Uhahg@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAKTB4c90m0uL3vfHVDbF-bvpWf6utYxVDJQMTVeo36QwN7S1EA@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2017-01-19 13:39:25 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:39:25 +0300

Raw message

You don't need Ubuntu. Latest Raspbian image is also working fine.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Actually some problems may occur about network cards. You should use the
proper usb ethernet card. There is a supportted card list on the net.
http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Ethernet_adapters

My advice is using a distro with GUI. If you don't, usb ethernet adapter's
address may change after reboot and this will cause your LAN network
stopping. A distro with GUI has a network manager to make thing easier for
you. It will address the usb ethernet and it will not change.

Another problem with Pi is that it is not a production equipment. It is
only for test and develop. Sometimes it needs to be reboot or restart
dnsmasq service.
After some while users can not reach to the login page. DHCP is fine but
DNS service is not responding somehow. After restarting DNS service (sudo
service dnsmasq restart) users can reach to the login page.

The best solution I found is to transferring logged users to the Computer
account. Then they will not be asked password anymore.

The main problem I couldn't solve is Android devices' https problem.
Android devices are not automatically redirected to the login screen like
IOS devices doing. Also most Android users not writing any web address,
they just press G sign on the phone to access Internet. This opens a web
browser to search with Google and it has HTTPS! So user got an IP address
but no Internet! Then he calls me and I told him to open a browser, write
any web address etc. I saw some hotspot systems having SSL certificate to
redirect HTTPS pages (mainly google, facebook, youtube) to the login screen
but there was some browser errors (like XSS attack) also.

As a result Raspberry and Grase Hotspot is working fine with some extra
help. Pi is cheap and could be found in everywhere. And Grase is a miracle.
Thanks to Tim!

Emre Erdogan