2017-02-11 - RE: [GRASE-Hotspot] Re: setting up a samba share for the internal network to access

Header Data

From: Daniel Crusoe <di***n@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 36a2d629e2ae8ccfdee135a0a217c5189b8a3d362f2482eb8652e6204cdc012c
Message ID: <012e01d2843d$a47d9210$ed78b630$@gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAESLx0KFHqP-4SAQB-a9C3-XLTUg4wKz_kGPXz7f6vd9_kp2=Q@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2017-02-11 01:05:40 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 10:05:40 +0200

Raw message

While I appreciate that this method works, it only allows the users to access the windows shares. What I want to do is centralise the contact for the users within the Grase network, in other words I would like them to access a samba share on the Ubuntu box that has the windows box (on the outside) mounted and sharing what I have on both boxes in one place.  My second mail (to this thread) was what I was hoping to get as the end point to this. A “streaming” media server that can be shared with the users who do not have a user account.

Basically I have run out of space on the windows server and will be installing more drives and more data into the Ubuntu box. Grase is just the Internet guardian (as Data in my country is expensive, us$80.00 for a simple uncapped 10M ADSL connection). I would also rather the users of my network not stream from the internet as this also is detrimental to the others (it kills the bandwidth) saying all this I would also like them to be able to access it from their mobile devices (hence the streaming and why I have given up on the samba share)  as stated earlier, I am a n008 and have forgotten how powerful Linux can be and is now learning everything once again from scratch.

Daniel