2019-08-03 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Update - Have your say on future development

Header Data

From: Tim <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 0bdb01f03227d206dcc344993481689538ed6a0fc6c1dc7183ca1604fc6c06ba
Message ID: <CAESLx0JaTCxZS-pRtie5Xpb_zx1QejKAYF-hwxPc-43tUfMC_g@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAESLx0+aVU85TxWoMKb8C4ZPLe_FN9QOzyaySa+BH3c9rvu=Aw@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2019-08-03 05:36:55 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 22:36:55 +1000

Raw message

> Maybe I can work out an interim solution of PHP5 on 18.04, I'll have a
> play around with it in the near future. But it'll be 'unsupported', best
> effort kind of thing (especially as it'll involve installing a PPA to get
> it working).

I've spent 8+ hours trying to make this work last night and this evening.
I'm ready to give up with getting the old PHP 5 version to run. Even after
manually pulling in the PHP dependencies that are required (and no longer
packaged for 18.04), and I get it "running", it's still broken. So far I've
made changes to support newer MDB2 versions (and manually pulled them in
because it's no longer packaged), I've had to redo the configuration
package for freeradius (moving from 2 to 3), totally untested at this
stage. I've had to adjust the SQL schema just to get it to load, and now
I'm hitting SQL queries that don't work on a new MySQL server. Other than
the Freeradius config changes, the rest of the work doesn't help us get the
new version completed, as it's all stuff that is made obsolete by the new
version.

If people want to try running it and to work out the changes required, then
you can do the following. (WARNING, it is broken, you have been warned).

$ wget
http://packages.grasehotspot.org/pool/main/g/grase-repo/grase-repo_1.7_all.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i grase-repo_1.7_all.deb
$ echo deb https://apt.grasehotspot.org/dev/ bionic main | sudo tee
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/grasehotspot.list
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install grase-www-portal grase-conf-freeradius

To help with debugging, I highly recommend installing the php-xdebug
package, so when it throws an error, the logs have something useful.

Given how much time I've spent on this, I'm probably not going to put any
more effort in getting the 3.x branch running on 18.04, and will instead
focus my effort on the 4.x branch.