2015-08-07 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Connection through proxy

Header Data

From: drazen <dr***a@radez.hr>
Message Hash: 233702ea7a7b1f4e27c4eb9330ea36683e895f762a7ddd479a52d67578ca1e19
Message ID: <55C49B14.9070005@radez.hr>
Reply To: <d382d1da-33a7-41e2-a106-cc38120914e7@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2015-08-07 04:48:36 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 13:48:36 +0200

Raw message

Hi Brett,
I never seen Meraki MDM in action, but I am quite sure that is excellent
system and that you don't need Grase in that case. Theese two are
similar product. You can't cascade them.

Why you wish to add Grase in that system?
rgds.
Drazen

On 08/05/2015 05:05 AM, Brett wrote:
> Hi
>
> Have just set up 3.8 on Ubuntu 12.x (decided to try it this way first
> rather than install 14+). Works great however as a school we have an
> issue we need to solve. We are using it to allow students to connect
> to a Meraki based MDM and configure their own wireless. So certainly
> students can connect to the Grase Hotspot server and login but cannot
> access the wider internet as we are behind a proxy.
>
> Our schools proxy setup for general student use is an ISA box which
> requires authentication. We also have access to an external proxy
> provided by the isp (netspace) which requires special authorization
> (ie credentials which are manually entered and not for public release)
>
> I can get a student iPad without a problem to locate the landing page
> and login, however to proceed further students would have to go into
> the settings for the wireless network point, add an IP for the proxy
> and a port and then add in their network credentials to connect to the
> Meraki MDM and install certs and profiles. They would then need to
> disable this proxy setup and return to the http:/logout page to
> logout. You can see this would be a problematic procedure for students
> as a self service connection system.
>
> So my question is there anyway to connect the hotspot internet via our
> proxy so that it is transparent to students but credentials are stored
> on the server running Grase?(and not exposed to students)
>
>  I'd hoped that Grase might pick up system wide proxies set as an
> environment variable but it seems not so. Really keen for some help as
> we have come this far and the kiosk appears otherwise to do precisely
> what we need (thank you!!)
>
> TIA Brett

> https://groups.google.com/a/grasehotspot.org/d/msgid/grase-hotspot/d382d1da-33a7-41e2-a106-cc38120914e7%40grasehotspot.org
> <https://groups.google.com/a/grasehotspot.org/d/msgid/grase-hotspot/d382d1da-33a7-41e2-a106-cc38120914e7%40grasehotspot.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.