2015-12-21 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] 2500 users

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: b9e1d4714a0b9cea13c430296d3a0a8396bfc363203782c4a54777f920386a00
Message ID: <CAESLx0JW5zQe-0GA4iQnpWas1BGP+7Oe_aXo7Y=R1f__ps0tXg@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <9ffa7bf2-c29a-46a0-bb6d-a1750c05ba95@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2015-12-21 03:46:41 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:46:41 +1000

Raw message

Hi Jerren

Sounds like it might be the multi WAN causing issues. Unless your upstream
provider does proper bonding, you'll be limited to 512Kbps per connection
(TCP connection) as it'll need to stay on the 1 link for the whole
connection. Given that you are sharing the connections, it's possible that
the ADSL uplink that is picked for a test isn't actually the ideal one, as
it may have other connections already on it.

Something to try, use iperf from a client to the Hotspot, then from the
client to the pfSense nodes, then finally from the client to a decent host
on the internet. This will give you a good idea of how hard each section
can be pushed, and where the bottleneck is. (Try it without rate limiting
the client as well).

You may also want to try iperf with some longer connections than the
default 10 second test. You may find that with the WiFi part of the
connection, the delay in the WiFi is causing TCP to not use the connection
at it's optimal due to the delay. Maybe try iperf with UDP as well to see
if it's TCP causing the problem.

Tim