2016-04-01 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Can portal be secure? https

Header Data

From: Sebastian Schneider <se***r@gmail.com>
Message Hash: f122f267946ff6bf4f48c0f4a5b40ba428a9ebc5c76c6386fd8c8a47df0d5be8
Message ID: <9e831ec8-a1b0-48b7-beda-e7480efa534b@grasehotspot.org>
Reply To: <CAHoMbheXBO32XKG2PCEiZ51uPpeX4ionu18ya8hRAgugzx09dw@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2016-04-01 08:32:27 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 08:32:27 -0700

Raw message

Hi Henry,

SSL in combination with HTTP is (going to be) the standard for Web.
In our case I think it is a good idea to enable a secure way to log into
the portal for *everyone*.
If anyone is facing a problem with javascript, they are forced to use the
non-js version of the captive portal. In that case a Man-in-the-Middle
attack is trivial and credentials of YOUR wireless network can get in the
wrong hands. It's not necessarily just the users problem but yours.
Another point is: Many people use noscript or similar programs to block
javascript. And I fully understand their decision.
For exactly these cases we can make sure that the authentication on our
captive portal is safe.

Using an unencrypted wireless network is insecure for the user anyway. But
at least I want to try everything possible to keep me and my network safe
and unwanted people out of my net.

Even there are other methods to get into an unencrypted network...

Best Sebastian

Am Mittwoch, 30. März 2016 22:51:03 UTC+2 schrieb Henry Terkura Swende:

> I'm kinda confused here guys kindly help me out? Why would I need SSL when
> the portal is already secured. I mean what's the advantage of using SSL
> instead of the JavaScript enabled security in grase?
> On Mar 30, 2016 9:25 PM, "Timothy White" <ti***.@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
>> Thats great news Sebastian!
>>
>> Can you do a short writeup on the Wiki for that?
>> https://github.com/GraseHotspot/grase-www-portal/wiki
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:18 AM, Sebastian Schneider <
>> se***.@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tim,
>>> thanks for that idea. It was obvious but I didn't think about it.
>>> The problem was mixed content, so http traffic in a https session.
>>> jqchilli.js call:
>>> var urlRoot = 'http://' + chilliController.host + ':' + chilliController
>>> .port + '/json/'; // TODO make this dynamic
>>> in line 38.
>>> In line 22 and 23 I changed to host var to my DNS Hostname (fitting to
>>> the cert) and changed to port to 4990.
>>> In my /etc/chilli/config I added:
>>> HS_UAMUISSL=on
>>> HS_REDIRSSL=on