2017-11-28 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Re: Block Windows and Apple Updates?

Header Data

From: Bob Hunt <bo***2@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 434ba5fb8b25ce4b9fd3b46db4ca4cef6d68ad68004232a76c8edd8f294864b3
Message ID: <CAA-jMMRkXd62PJKf=pEs6ajDW14t+sp=nf1BeJK5erbcfZ-6Ew@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <78e9850c-6026-4ad6-b208-d439fa327a94@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2017-11-28 15:40:31 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 09:40:31 +1100

Raw message

Hi Sai,

On my Grase hotspot, those OS updates simply max out the user's allocated
bandwidth limit and make their attempts to browse the net impossible until
it's finished.

If the user calls to complain, and a quick look at their current session
traffic confirms that a windows update is the problem, I let them know to
set their wifi connection as metered, which makes windows be more polite
about downloading updates. Not sure about how to do that on a Mac.

I also use the opportunity  to recommend Linux.

Cheers,

Bob