2016-08-22 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Re: Monitoring performance - troubleshooting

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 2ddc3780c0d4e29771739a191d488c158dffeeb63e8cf0434e9b259cf726a627
Message ID: <CAESLx0Jmw8w=9qm3M9YrF+4kU2pA8wisPVcUtmN8jdY4+He83w@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <34e4f690-f9e7-4d09-9759-36e07d894a78@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2016-08-22 16:25:06 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 09:25:06 +1000

Raw message

Hi Glyn

Your description of Free access for 1 hour, then the account expires an
hour later and they can log back in, doesn't match what you want. An
expired account means they are locked out, no log back in. It's finished.
It sounds like what you actually want is them to be able to use 1 hour ever
2 hours?

If you want a free account to be able to log back in in the future, you
can't use default time/data limits, or expiry, as these will apply to the
account for it's lifetime (which isn't until it expires, it's until it's
deleted). What you need to be looking at is recurring data/time limits, and
bandwidth limits.

To give you an example, at a cafe that's running the hotspot, they give
their clients 30 minutes a day. We also use a bandwidth limit to throttle
their speed. However, we don't set a data limit, as with the bandwidth
limit, and the time limit per day, we are already effectively giving them a
data limit (bandwidth x 30 minutes = total data per day they can use).

Unfortunately, for your use case, there currently isn't a recurring
timelimit that fits your need. IIRC, the limits are per hour, per day, per
month (maybe per week?). The best way with these existing limits would be
to give them 30 minutes each hour. Alternatively, be generous and give them
say 3 hours a day. I can't see too many people who would come to the pub in
the morning, use 3 hours, and come back that afternoon and want more.

Something like
[image: Inline image 1]

Regarding the performance issues. Unfortunately I don't use a Raspberry Pi
or similar with more than 1 or 2 WiFi connections. Make sure you do some
tests with iperf to see what bandwidth you can actually push through it. Do
tests both from the pi to a destination on the internet, and from a WiFi
client to the Pi.