2018-01-03 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Repeater over AP on grase hotspot

Header Data

From: Gerard Pacete <ge***1@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 312e92b26855b7bb996b96765fa88548247a4d66ce62740602b936041e199398
Message ID: <c5e03d7d-4dae-42ba-82ad-454ca3503741@grasehotspot.org>
Reply To: <CAA-jMMTb3ODt3W7BV+MSReOt=afuxfR30YMFYgcz3ozg0y1qRQ@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2018-01-03 19:58:19 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 18:58:19 -0800

Raw message

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 9:27:43 AM UTC+8, bob.hunt.52 wrote:

> Hi Gerard,
>
> This may be the same problem that I encountered using Grase over my mesh
> network. The solution was to setup the mac addresses of all the repeater
> nodes with computer accounts on the Grase server, so that Grase allows
> traffic from those nodes.

Hi Bob,
Glad to see response that fast, i tried ur idea just now and it didnt work
as well. Thanks by the way.

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 9:34:27 AM UTC+8, timwhite88 wrote:

> Hi Gerard
>
> This is normally an issue with how the repeater functions. The
> repeater is a "client" on the Wifi network, and all the clients "hide"
> behind the 1 client. (Like NAT). You need WDS or similar, to be able
> to get proper Layer 2 over the Wifi. Often this means you'll need a
> WiFi AP that is compatible with the repeater, so that they can do the
> correct WDS that is required.
>
> Any chance you can run a cable to each extra AP? That doesn't required
> compatible Wifi AP and repeater, as you just have multiple AP's with
> the same SSID and the clients will "roam" between them when the signal
> strength drops.

Hi Tim,
First of all, thank you very much. Understand. Now we are getting into
option to wire multiple APs. It will be quite a bit difficult though look
like this is the easier way as we tried several repeaters and routers and
we cannot get to work even one repeater up. :(
We have limited budget too that i cant buy more devices to test.
Anyway, thank you again and more power!

- Gerard

Thread