2018-01-03 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Repeater over AP on grase hotspot

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: e70cfedf78b7ecb48a5fab2738a59ff9086f8c4026422634e286ce659e1e8309
Message ID: <CAESLx0+e4oB9ZZPAZ4MdHHiNNeOYTeytAnVEh=bFaFXL3ZXMHg@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <9f62ebc1-9fc9-40ce-b604-6e3765f5f2dc@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2018-01-03 18:34:24 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 11:34:24 +1000

Raw message

Hi Gerard

This is normally an issue with how the repeater functions. The
repeater is a "client" on the Wifi network, and all the clients "hide"
behind the 1 client. (Like NAT). You need WDS or similar, to be able
to get proper Layer 2 over the Wifi. Often this means you'll need a
WiFi AP that is compatible with the repeater, so that they can do the
correct WDS that is required.

Any chance you can run a cable to each extra AP? That doesn't required
compatible Wifi AP and repeater, as you just have multiple AP's with
the same SSID and the clients will "roam" between them when the signal
strength drops.

On 4 January 2018 at 11:19, Gerard Pacete <ge***1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, we are an educational institution and just recently we decided to put up
> a portal for our network. We setup grase hotspot v3 and we found it very
> helpful in a way that we need it.
> But, now that we want to expand the network to cater wider area, we came
> into issues of setting up a repeater for our wireless access points.
>
> Scenario:
> 1 PC running ubuntu with grase hotspot installed.
> 1 wifi router(setup as access point, where one router LAN is connected to
> uam_eth, DHCP is disabled on this router).
> 1 wireless repeater to repeat the wifi network from our wireless AP
>
> Problem:
> - If a client connects through the extended wifi signal(repeater), it is
> able to get IP from the DHCP server(grase hotspot) but it is not able to get
> through to connect to portal.
> If we remove the repeater, there is no problem at all.
>
> What we have done so far:
> - We already tried to use different models of routers and AP to run the WiFi
> AP and also tried several repeater models but all of them are having the
> same issues.
> - We tried to make a router(DHCP enabled) and connect it to grase hotspot
> and repeat the signal, repeater have no issues but we cannot make each of
> clients on WiFi be controlled by grase hotspot server.
>
> Is there any problem with our setup? or is there any better setup that i can
> try with?
>
> Thanks and best regards to all.

> https://groups.google.com/a/grasehotspot.org/d/msgid/grase-hotspot/9f62ebc1-9fc9-40ce-b604-6e3765f5f2dc%40grasehotspot.org.

Thread