2018-01-04 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Repeater over AP on grase hotspot

Header Data

From: Drazen Zuvela <dr***a@gmail.com>
Message Hash: a3080dee259aadd40913016a78583f928409d9c89fd02b510de785cef3902ee6
Message ID: <CAJPZkgH3zy2gpzjCKMjSfAo-JtG++PopJJWBDeHzYr9sBxhdzA@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAA-jMMQ_pjdSKo6u+L7NcH_rJmXJx7jdF6KEpVBnXidmSMnkAg@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2018-01-04 03:31:21 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 11:31:21 +0100

Raw message

Hi Bob.
I never using repeater mode because it will divide speed to 50%. What I am
using is "link" with 3 device setup.
1. Base AP connected to Grase (Network mode: Bridge, Wireless mode: AP+WDS)
2. Middle unit (Network mode:Bridge; Wireless mode: Station + WDS)  (+
usually directional antenna attached to for bigger distances)
3. AP device at the end point. Eth cable connected to device no.2 (Network
mode: Bridge; Wireless mode: AP)

here are some documents illustrating my setup.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwpmm0Bk8oTYVkRsbnpTRDZESm8/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwpmm0Bk8oTYdUVqTjJQOGRaSFk/view?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1lhGtjMIEvIOOE4ycfjuNeCO_WlSG5lc2AVjCHTnLThA/edit?usp=sharing

There are one AP with double panel antennas on high mast covering east side
(basically illuminating 3 floors of neighbourg house)
2nd AP with 9,5dbi stick antenna on my roof, illuminating 360 deg around my
house, but also used to link remote yagi antenna for 2nd neighbourg
200meters away south-west direction. There is Station device on Yagi and
another AP connected to.
3rd AP with parabola antenna at 5GHz band, directed to west. 1 kilometers
away there is oposite Station parabola at 5Ghz, forwarding trough cable to
2.4GHz local Ap.
How you can see there is a mix of different brands and types of equipment
and even firmwares (Gargoyle). For steady link I would recommend Ubiquity
equipment because it works without any issue. (Tp-link version works but
sometimes need power resets to get clients connect properly. Besides I used
indoor units repacked in different waterproof boxes in order to be used
outside. Kinda of cheaper, but after years of practice primary outdoor
equipment works much better then my DIY outdoor packages.
Hope this helps.
Dražen