2018-10-04 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Re: CoovaChilli Login Page

Header Data

From: Tim <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 061efcb94f076ddb7e1b9d6eeef03f777e3beca0cb9696d192d21932d0e2829e
Message ID: <CAESLx0JP1aAwf=AhsZxrkD0rJrLqQcZrUdvWEiOB_LU9TYSj0g@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <87b67226-d364-4399-8fe4-9d213dbb4e3c@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2018-10-04 17:41:30 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2018 10:41:30 +1000

Raw message

Hi Sergen

For a Captive portal to work, it intercepts the HTTP requests and redirects
you to the login page. Due to how HTTPS works, this can not be done, so no
redirection occurs. Most modern OS's however have Captive Portal detection
(as do some browsers), and so they'll automatically detect the captive
portal and show you the login page as soon as you connect to the WiFi
network.

Unfortunately, there is no easy work around for older devices, except to
tell them to browse to a site that doesn't force HTTPS.

Tim