2017-06-04 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Re: Slow Internet Speed on Grase

Header Data

From: Tubeta Taenang <tu***g@gmail.com>
Message Hash: d7f82feda99bb325cdbe2302667e5e735046abc3c6e179b313392ab7e03b21e4
Message ID: <CAPYsbFb670zMgC57+PfMOk6XfTZsNN=E+74NXScDcUUnDhjRRA@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAPYsbFYVSFWkZKOtiRnMMjxf_OxC+FYfCJqRCoE7mdtZXAjPxg@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2017-06-04 16:20:08 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 11:20:08 +1200

Raw message

Hello Tim,

If you have a chance, can you reply my email above please.

Thanks
Tubeta

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Tubeta Taenang <tu***g@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you Tim,
>
> You clarified that very well.
>
> I have decided to go with iptables just to lock down my wan interface.
> But I have a question you may be able to answer:
>
> 1. What the $TUNTAP variable refers to? Is it tun0? And what the purpose
> of tun1? Can I disable tun1 and forget about it or it is neccessary for
> Grase to work?
>
> 2. Can I just use eth1 and tun0 in my rules or I have to stick with your
> variables declared in /etc/chilli/up.sh?
>
> 3. Or can I use my own variables in the /etc/chilli/ipup.sh script?
>
> Please clarify the answers and direct me the right when you have time
> please. I still learn how Grase is working.
>
> Look forward to your next mail.
>
> Please enjoy your weekend with your family.
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Tubeta
>

> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As already explained. Linux (which the Grase Hotspot is running on)
>> already has a firewall.
>>
>> Have a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IptablesHowTo to get an
>> understanding of how IPTables work. You can then modify /etc/chilli/ipup.sh
>> (IIRC) to run custom rules. You can also probably use
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW with the hotspot. More testing of
>> UFW would need to be done.
>>
>> Putting something on Virtualbox will not provide a firewall. If you put
>> something behind NAT (via virtualbox), that's not the same as a firewall,
>> although the end result is often similar.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 3:01 PM, António Chimuzu <ch***u@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tubeta,
>>> If you want a firewall but you are on s budget you can put everything on
>>> virtualbox.
>>> Cheers