2020-05-11 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Re: Initial installable Dev packages for V4

Header Data

From: Tim <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: a9e02c7ac30efffd6ad1d8ecd40c9ca497a66db5d70292a9087cec3b9af97748
Message ID: <CAESLx0KBE8HWX68YC2_7yy19wbDx9HEMR2wZh934VVgnuch-MQ@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <f3e64abc-a8a0-ac08-941f-ec3db817da6a@gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2020-05-11 14:38:01 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 05:38:01 +0800

Raw message

So far I've only tested it on 18.04 Server, not a desktop environment. I
expect because you've used the XFCE version that it's pulled in
systemd-resolved which is preventing dnsmasq from running.

Currently, you'll need to complete the last steps of accessing the admin
interface from the "WAN" interface. Once you have done this and CoovaChilli
can start with the correct LAN NIC, then you'll be able to access it from
the LAN.

I will attempt to work out steps for the GUI Ubuntu 18.04, it'll have extra
steps to disable systemd-resolved and possibly network manager again.

Due to the huge jump in versions of everything, it was easier to not try
and do upgrades with apt/deb packages and expect the database upgrades to
work (especially as the previous version had 2 databases managed by 2
different packages). Instead, there is a tool provided to take a V3
database dump and load it and convert it to V4.

It does sound like the initial configuration is a bit of an issue, and I
know part of that is currently the LAN interface can't come up until you
configure it correctly. In V3 we tried to guess it, but that was done
poorly and so if you never went into the admin interface and "resaved" the
settings page, it could randomly change at reboot. I've debated putting a
"first run" wizard in to help configure the initial settings. This may help
with getting systems running, but it sounds like getting to the web
interface is a bit of an issue initially? What if the first run wizard was
run through the command line instead?