2011-10-19 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] help with squid after update 3.6.2

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 5309ed1712b382c6d2560439f026dd854be7ebd5be0c7a55d4bdf039ccf8505a
Message ID: <4E9E9315.5050103@gmail.com>
Reply To: <1319013029.50990.YahooMailNeo@web161606.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>
UTC Datetime: 2011-10-19 02:06:29 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:06:29 +1000

Raw message

On 19/10/11 18:30, ????? ?????? wrote:
> as you said, i edited squid after installing grase hotspot..
> i need some of my staff using proxy so they can using internet (they
> using specific ip, not dhcp, and using different gateway from hotspot).
Are they accessing it THROUGH the hotspot?
i.e. Are they connected to the same wireless/wired network as the
hotspot clients are? If so, they need to be moved to another network
(i.e. if the hotspot server has 3 network interfaces, then you have a
WAN one, the Hotspot LAN, and then the "Other LAN"). If they are
connected to the Hotspot WAN side, then it should be fine.

> the error code is:
>
> The connection has timed out
> The server at www.google.com is taking too long to respond.
>
>     *   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try
> again in a few
>           moments.
>     *   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
>           connection.
>     *   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or
> proxy, make sure
>           that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
>

> as if they cant even access squid. (i remember squid giving warning
> "access denied" if client try access some blocked site. but this time
> there are no error like that).
This suggests they aren't even getting to the proxy

> i use same ip with hotspot server for the proxy, in my case is
> 192.168.215.101:3128
Is this the hotspot lan ip, or the hotspot wan ip? You will need to use
the hotspot wan ip which will be different to the ip address in the
grase hotspot settings. On the first status page you should be able to
see the wan ip address and the lan ip address.

> the problem occur after i updated grase into 3.6.2..
> and i dont see any differences in my squid.conf.grase
There may have been some firewall rule changes, which should only affect
connections on the hotspot lan side, but if you are trying to access the
hotspot lan side from the wan side, then these rules may block you.

Given you can't even access the proxy server, it sounds like it's the
firewall blocking you, so you are probably using the LAN ip instead of
the WAN ip.

If you are still confused, try drawing your network setup for us.