2012-04-22 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Vmware hotspot

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: e33bb125e19093b5d4cc8e00c71baaf13056d62d741f2dc1d3e7702bbbf95a9c
Message ID: <4F947417.9050105@gmail.com>
Reply To: <08A568D6-F9CB-4931-BC4F-3D71C642CAC3@vilasmolic.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 2012-04-22 14:11:51 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:11:51 +1000

Raw message

On 23/04/12 06:43, Jurica Smoli\u0107 wrote:

> Its not secure at moment so will have to play about with firewall
> rules etc but it finally works...

I just want to stress that due to the Layer 2 nature of the Grase
Hotspot, it really needs bridged interfaces for than LAN side. When you
bridge the interface, it should have total control over it (windows
shouldn't even care about it), and as windows isn't talking to it, only
bridging it, there shouldn't be security concerns.

For best results, and good security, I highly recommend running it
standalone instead of in a virtual machine.
If your concern is that you can't sacrifice a whole computer to running
it, I can suggest ether learning Linux and enjoying a Linux desktop,
running Windows as the virtual machine, or ideally, getting a low
powered computer that you can dedicate to the Hotspot. I've been
investigating low powered embedded style devices, and PC Enginges ALIX
boards are perfect for it!