2015-06-12 - Re: Grase nightlyBuilds connection problem

Header Data

From: Michael Raynor <mx***1@gmail.com>
Message Hash: c7474d776df21b04f487e7bcd426b8ec0b3d58573c8de0342580b3fd89f6d081
Message ID: <2e214bda-d071-40e9-8342-411f319bafee@grasehotspot.org>
Reply To: <885e27b0-bca6-4277-b28a-8b998c1ef1c4@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2015-06-12 15:49:24 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:49:24 -0700

Raw message

The only Virtual environment that I've had success with is VMWare for Grase.

You will need two Virtual NICs, the first I'd suggest setting it to bridge
mode so that it's on your local network (the WAN side of Grase). The second
is a little more tricky as your host machine is only really on the same
network.

For testing, I'd suggest creating a second VM (say Windows 7) and stick
Windows 7 in a custom virtual network (say VMnet5 - something that isn't
used elsewhere). Then you'll want to assign the second Virtual NIC for
Grase to the same custom virtual network.

After this, head to the Virtual Network Editor (assuming you're using
VMWare Workstation). Create the Virtual Network (choose VMnet5 or what you
chose before). Set it to Host-only and turn off local DHCP service. You may
or may not also need to turn off "Connect a host virtual adapter to this
network" so that the host machine can't see it.

I have used Grase in a VMWare ESXi environment and it works perfectly,
however we had existing tagged VLANs for the DMZ and Public side of Grase.
We also had to create separate virtual networks in ESXi to split off the
two sides of Grase to their respective networks.

Haven't tested the above for VMWare Workstations, but it should help. If I
had VirtualBox installed I'd try and find instructions for it too, but I
don't know what it is or isn't capable of network-wise.

Michael

On Friday, 12 June 2015 21:08:15 UTC+10, Sheena Arora wrote:

> Hi Tim and Drazen,
>
> I have installed Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS server on a VM with the host machine
> running Windows 7 operating system. It shows the admin panel and the
> voucher login on the host machine. When I try to connect with the other
> devices, it generates an IP address of the kind 10.1.0.x but does not show
> the voucher login page.
>
> Also, during the installation of grase, it showed a line :
> dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in
> use
> Please help me out with this.
>
> Thanks
> Sheena
>
> On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 12:57:17 PM UTC+5:30, shaveta puri wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have been testing Grase NightlyBuilds 1.5 for the past few days on
>> ubuntu 15.04 (desktop version) .
>>
>> Initially , it works like a charm. But suddenly after some time nobody is
>> able to access the internet through it.It shows full hotspot connection and
>> allows users to connect to it.
>> It starts and stops randomly, at its own will. I have also tried its
>> installation using virtualbox(ubuntu server 14.04), but the behavior
>> remains the same.
>>
>> Could you please help me with this. Where am I going wrong?

Thread